Effect of rice straw ash on soil properties and yield of cucumber
December 28, 2019
Many farmers in Nigeria are paying close attention to using Rice Straw Ash (RSA) as a soil fertility enhancement additive. The short and long-term effects of applying this ash to the soil quality were not adequately investigated, however. This research was conducted at the Departmental Farm of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering, Bayero University, Kano to access the impact of RSA on the soil’s physiochemical properties and on cucumber yield. Twelve (12) experimental plots were treated with different amounts of RSA (0 kg, 1 kg, 2 kg and 3 kg) to assess the intensity effect of the treatment on both soil physiochemicals and crop yield. For each experimental plot, soil properties (moisture content, porosity, bulk density, electrical conductivity, organic matter, pH and sodium concentration, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium) were measured and analyzed before and after the experiment. The results showed that the application of ash increased moisture content, bulk density, porosity, electrical conductivity, organic matter and sodium concentration while reducing the pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels. The mean yield in 0 kg RSA (21,84tons / ha) was found to be the highest. There was a drop in the yield (13.08-14.14tons / ha) of crop in the plots treated with RSA. The research concluded that continued use of RSA could lead to a reduction in crop yield as the EC level was found to be rising. It is on this basis that farmers are advised to avoid the use of RSA as an additive for soil fertility enhancement and other means should therefore be used.
Cite as: Zakari, M. D., Babangida, I., Ibrahim, A., Nasidi, N.M., Shanono, N.J., Mohammed, D., Usman, I.M.T. and Sabo, A.A. (2019). Effect of Rice Straw Ash on Soil Properties and Yield of Cucumber. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1(1), 025-031. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3595163
- Doran, J. W. and Jones, A. J. (1996). Methods for Assessing Soil Quality. SSSA Special Publication Number 49. Soil Science Society of America, Inc. Madison, Wisconsin, USA. Pp11
- Griffiths BS, Ball BC, Daniell TJ, Hallett PD, Neilson R,Wheatley RE, Osler G, Bohanec M (2010). Integrating soil quality changes to arable agricultural systems following organic matter addition, or adoption of a ley-arable rotation. Appl. Soil Ecol., 46(1): 43-53.
- Hartemink, A. E. (2007). Soil Fertility Decline: Definitions and Assessment. ISRIC–World Soil Information, Wageningen, the Netherlands. Encyclopedia of Soil Science DOI: 10.1081/E-ESS-120041235. Pp1618-1621.
- Pieri, C. (1989). Fertilite´ des terres de savanes; Ministe`re de la Cooperation et CIRAD-IRAT: Paris, 1989.
- Smaling, E.M.A. (1993). An Agro-ecological Framework for Integrated Nutrient Management with Special Reference to Kenya; Agricultural University: Wageningen, 1993; 250.
- Henao, J. and Baanante, C. (1999). Estimating Rates of Nutrient Depletion in Soils of Agricultural Lands of Africa; IFDC: Muscle Shoals, 1999.
- Lal, R. (1989). Land Degradation and Its Impact on Food and Other Resources; Food and Natural Resources, 1989; 85–140.
- Sanchez, P.A. (2000). Soil fertility and hunger in Africa. Science 2002, 295 (5562), 2019–2020.
- Adegbite, M. ., Sanda, A. ., Musa, A. ., Ahmed, I. ., & Zakari, S. I. (2018). Evaluation of organic amendments and mineral fertilizer inputs on soil chemical properties in ilorin, southern guinue. International Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Research, 4(2), 457.
- Okonkwo, C., Mbagwu, J. S., Egwu, S., & Mbah, C. (2011). Effect of decomposed rice husk dust on soil properties and yield of maize. Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 5(2), 129 – 135.
- Adetula, O. and Denton, L. (2003). Performances of vegetation and yield accessions of cucumber (cucumis sativa L.) horticulture society of Nigeria (HORTSON) Proceedings of 21st annual conferences 10-12 Nov, 2003.
- Eifediyi, E.K. and Remison, S.U. (2010). Growth and yield of cucumber (Cucumis sativum L.) as influenced by farm yard manure and inorganic fertilizer .J. plant breeding and crop sci.Z(7):216-220
- Phu NT (1997). Nitrogen and potassium effect on cucumber yield. AVI 1996 report, ARC/AVRDC Training Thailand.
- Rosello, J., Soriano, L., Santamarina, P. ., Akasaki, J. ., Monzo, J., & Paya, J. (2017). Rice straw ash: A potential pozzolanic supplementary material for cementing systems. Industrial Crops and Products, 103, 39–50.
- Zakari, M.D., A.A., Sabo, N.J., Shanono, N.M., Nasidi and A., Ibrahim. (2018). Effect of Soil Organic Amendments and Irrigation Interval on Yield of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference of The Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers Held at The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria, 10th -14th, September, 2018. Pp375-385
- Muhammad, J.M. (2014). Daily Weather Data for Year 2013, in Bayero University, Kano. Soil Science Depertment, Bayero University, Kano
- Shanono, J. N., Othman, M.K., and Ramalan, A.A. (2014). Performance of Water Allocation System at Watari Irrigation Project Kano, Nigeria. 2nd International Conference on Food and Agricultural Engineering. (CAFE; 2014), University Putra Malaysia (UPM), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Michael, A.M., and Ojha, T.P. (2005). Principle of Agricultural Engineering Volume II. Jain Brothers Publication, New Delhi, India.
- Grossman, RB. and Reinsch, TG. (2002). Bulk Density and Linear Extensibility. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 4. Physical Methods, Dane, J.H. and G.C. Topp (Eds.). ASA and SSSA, Madison, WI, pp: 201-228.
- Vomicile, J. (1965). Porosity in Blacked, method of soil Analysis part. Agronomic Monograph 9, ASA Ans SSSA, Madison, WI, 299–341.
- Udo, E.J., Ibia, T.O., Ogunwale, J.A., Esu., A.O., and Ano, I.E. (2009). Manual of Soil Plant and Water Analyses. First Publication Sibon Books Ltd. Lagos, Nigeria.
- Subbaiah, B. V, and Asija, G. L. (1956). A Rapid Procedure for the Estimation of Available Nitrogen in Soil. Curr. Science, 25, 259.
- El Mahi, Y., I.S. Ibrahim, H. M. A. and A. M., Eltilib. (1987). A simple method for determination of calcium and magnesium carbonate in soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 51, 1152–1155.
- Igbadun, H.E., A.A. Ramalan, E., Oiganji , (2012). Effects of regulated deficit irrigation and mulch on yield, water use and crop water productivity of onion in Samaru, Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Water Management. www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat
- Horneck, D. A., Sullivan, D. M., Owen, J. S., & Hart, J. M. (2011). Soil Test Interpretation Guide. Retrieved from https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1478
- Simseka, M. ., Tonkaz, M., Kacira, N., Komlekcioglu, & K.D. (2005). The effect of different irrigation regimes on cucumber (cucumbis satibus L) yield and yield characteristics under open field condition. Agric. Water Management, 73, 173–191.
- Enujeke, E. . (2013). Growth and the yield response of cucumber to five different rate of poultry mature in Asaba area of Delta State. Nigerian Internatinal Research of Agricultural Science and Soil Science, 11 (ISSN:2(3), 369–375.
- Remison, S. (2005). Arable and vegetable crops of the tropics. Benin City: Gift-Prints Assocites.