Study of corrosion inhibition performance of Glutaraldehyde on Aluminium in nitric acid solution
The inhibition effect of glutaraldehyde on the corrosion behavior of aluminium in 1.4 M nitric acid solution was studied using weight loss method, adsorption studies and characterized instrumentally by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopic (FT-IR) analysis. The effects of inhibitor concentration, temperature and surface coverage were all investigated. The effect of inhibitor concentration and other parameters were evaluated for different inhibitor concentrations and the probable mechanism for the studied inhibitor was also proposed. The results showed that glutaraldehyde possess an excellent inhibiting effect toward the corrosion of aluminium in nitric acid solution with highest inhibition efficiency of 84.68, 81.34 and 76.87 % at 308, 313 and 318 K in the presence of 0.1 M inhibitor concentration. The values of the activation energy, rate constant, half-life and rate constant in uninhibited acid solution were 31.84 kj mol-1, 3.9 k ×10-3 hr-1 and 1.76 × 102 hr which changed to 57.64 kj mol-1, 0.60 k ×10-3 hr-1 and 11.55 hr in the presence of 0.1 M inhibitor concentration. The positive values of enthalpy reflect the endothermic nature of the reaction. The negative values of entropy (ΔS) signified that the activated complex in the rate determining step represented an association, rather than dissociation. The adsorption of the inhibitor on the metal surface followed Langmuir adsorption isotherm.
Cite as: Husaini, M.,Usman, B.,Ibrahim, M. B (2020). Study of corrosion inhibition performance of Glutaraldehyde on Aluminium in nitric acid solution. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3647606
- Obot I.B., Obi-Egbedi N. O., Umoren S.A. and Ebenso E. E. (2010); Synergistic and Antagonistic Effects of Anions and Ipomoea invulcrata as Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminium Dissolution in Acidic Medium. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 5: 994-1007.
- KK Alaneme; SJ Olusegun.Leo. J. Sci., 2012, 20: 59-79.
- Vargel, C. (2004). Corrosion of Aluminum, Oxford, Elsevier.
- Davo, B. and Damborenea, J. J. (2004). Use of rare earth salts as electrochemical corrosion inhibitors for an Al-Li-Cu (8090) alloy in 3.56% NaCl Electrochem Acta. 49: 4957.
- Nnanna, L. A., Onwuagba, B. N., Mejeha, I. M. and Okeoma, K. B. (2010).. Afri. J. Pure Appl. Chem. 4: 011-016.
- Lahhit, N., Bouyanzer, A., Desjobert, J. M., Hammouti, B., Salghi, R., Costa, J., Jama, C., Bentiss, F., Majidi, L. (2011). Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) essential oil as green corrosion inhibitor of carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solution. Port. Electrochim. Acta. 29: 127-138.
- Selvi, J. A., Rajendran, S., Sri, V. G., Amalraj, A. J., Narayanasamy, B. (2009). Corrosion inhibition by beet root extract Port. Electrocehem. Acta. 27: 1-11.
- Singh, B., Ebenso, E. E., and Quraishi, M. A. (2012). Stem extract of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminum in NaOH solution Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7: 3409-3419
- MZM, S., MFM, N., Samsudin, M. W. and Othman, M. R. (2012). Corrosion inhibition of aluminum by using Nipah extract solutions in hydrochloric acid media. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7: 1958-1967.
- Siaka, A. A., Eddy, N. O., Muhammad, A., Elinge, C. M., Atiku, F. A. (2012). Inn. Sci. Eng., 2: 4-48.
- Nnanna, L. A., Obasi, V. U., Nwadiuko, O. C., Mejeh, K. I., Ekekwe, N. D. and Udensi, S. C (2012). Inhibition of newbouldia leaves extract for the corrosion of aluminium in hydrochloric acid Sch. Res. Lib., 4: 207-217
- Ansari, K. R. and Quraishi, M. A. (2014). Journal of the Association of Arab Universities for Basic and Applied Sciences. 1-8.
- Omotioma, M. and Onukwuli O. D. (2017). Evaluation of Pawpaw Leaves Extract as Anti Corrosion Agent for Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Nigerian Journal of Technology. 36(2): 496 – 504.
- Husaini, M., Usman, B., Ibrahim, M. B. (2019). Evaluation of corrosion behavior of aluminum in different environment. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. 2018 11(1): 88-92.
- Adejo, S. O., Ekewenchi, M. M., Momoh, F. and Odiniya, E. (2012). Adsorption characterization of ethanol extract of leaves of Portulaca oleracea as green corrosion inhibitor for corrosion of mild steel in sulphuric acid medium. International Journal of Modern Chemistry, 1(3): 125-134.
- Deepa, P. and Rao, P. (2013). Corrosion inhibition of aluminium aaloy by coriuandrum sativum L seed extract in phosphoric acid. J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 4 (5) 732-743
- Ezeokonkwo, M. A. Ukoha, P. O. and Nnaji, N. J. (2012). Green Inhibitor for Aluminium and Mild Steel in Acidic Media: A Case Study of Exudates of Eucalyptus Citriodora. International Journal of Chemical Science. 10(3): 1365-1373.
- Olasehinde, E.F., Ogunjobi, J. K., Akinlosotu, O. M. and Omogbehin, S. A. (2015). Investigation of the Inhibitive Properties of Alchornea laxiflora leaves on the Corrosion of Mild Steel in HCl: Thermodynamics and Kinetic Study. Journal of American Science. 11(1): 32-39.
- Udom, G. I., Cookey, G. A. and Abia, A. A. (2017). The Effect of Acanthus montanus Leaves Extract on Corrosion of Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Journal of Applied Science and Technology. 25(2): 1-11.
- Husaini, M., Usman, B., Ibrahim, M. B. (2019). Study of corrosion inhibition of Aluminum in nitric acid solution using Anisaldehyde (4 - methoxy benzaldehyde) as inhibitor. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology, http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3477599.
- Ebenso, E.E., Alemu, . , Umoren, S.A. and Obot, I.B. (2008). Alizarin Yellow GG Dye and Synergistic Iodide Additive. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 3: 1325–1339.