Study of corrosion inhibition performance of Glutaraldehyde on Aluminium in nitric acid solution
The inhibition effect of glutaraldehyde on the corrosion behavior of aluminium in 1.4 M nitric acid solution was studied using weight loss method, adsorption studies and characterized instrumentally by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopic (FT-IR) analysis. The effects of inhibitor concentration, temperature and surface coverage were all investigated. The effect of inhibitor concentration and other parameters were evaluated for different inhibitor concentrations and the probable mechanism for the studied inhibitor was also proposed. The results showed that glutaraldehyde possess an excellent inhibiting effect toward the corrosion of aluminium in nitric acid solution with highest inhibition efficiency of 84.68, 81.34 and 76.87 % at 308, 313 and 318 K in the presence of 0.1 M inhibitor concentration. The values of the activation energy, rate constant, half-life and rate constant in uninhibited acid solution were 31.84 kj mol-1, 3.9 k ×10-3 hr-1 and 1.76 × 102 hr which changed to 57.64 kj mol-1, 0.60 k ×10-3 hr-1 and 11.55 hr in the presence of 0.1 M inhibitor concentration. The positive values of enthalpy reflect the endothermic nature of the reaction. The negative values of entropy (ΔS) signified that the activated complex in the rate determining step represented an association, rather than dissociation. The adsorption of the inhibitor on the metal surface followed Langmuir adsorption isotherm.
Cite as:Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Study of corrosion inhibition performance of Glutaraldehyde on Aluminium in nitric acid solution. Alg. J. Eng. Tech. 2020; 2: 003-010.
- Obot IB, Obi-Egbedi NO, Umoren SA, Ebenso EE. Synergistic and antagonistic effects of anions and Ipomoea invulcrata as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium dissolution in acidic medium. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 2010;5(7):994-1007.
- KK Alaneme; SJ Olusegun.Leo. J. Sci., 2012, 20: 59-79.
- Vargel C. Corrosion of aluminium. Elsevier Ltd. 2004.
- Davó B, De Damborenea JJ. Use of rare earth salts as electrochemical corrosion inhibitors for an Al–Li–Cu (8090) alloy in 3.56% NaCl. Electrochimica Acta. 2004;49(27):4957-4965.
- Nnanna LA, Onwuagba BN, Mejeha IM, Okeoma KB. Inhibition effects of some plant extracts on the acid corrosion of aluminium alloy. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry. 2010;4(2):011-016.
- Lahhit N, Bouyanzer A, Desjobert JM, Hammouti B, Salghi R, Costa J, Jama C, Bentiss F, Majidi L. Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) essential oil as green corrosion inhibitor of carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solution. Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta. 2011;29(2):127-138.
- Selvi JA, Rajendran S, Sri VG, Amalraj AJ, Narayanasamy B. Corrosion inhibition by beet root extract. Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta. 2009;27(1):1-11.
- Singh A, Ebenso EE, Quraishi MA. Stem extract of brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminum in NaOH solution. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 2012;7:3409-3419.
- Satar MZ, Noor MF, Samsudin MW, Othman MR. Corrosion inhibition of aluminium by using nipah (Nypa fruticans) extract solution in hydrochloric acid (HCl) media. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2012;7(3):1958-1967.
- Siaka AA, Eddy NO, Muhammad A, Elinge CM, Atiku FA. Sci. Eng. 2012; 2: 4-48.
- Nnanna LA, Obasi VU, Nwadiuko OC, Mejeh KI, Ekekwe ND, Udensi SC. Inhibition by Newbouldia leavis leaf extract of the corrosion of aluminium in HCl and H2SO4 Archives of Applied Science Research. 2012;4(1):207-217.
- Ansari KR, Quraishi MA. Effect of three component (aniline–formaldehyde and piperazine) polymer on mild steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid medium. Journal of the Association of Arab Universities for Basic and Applied Sciences. 2015;18:12-18.
- Omotioma M, Onukwuli OD. Evaluation of Pwpaw leaves extract as anti-corrosion agent for Aluminium in Hydrochloric acid medium. Nigerian Journal of Technology. 2017;36(2):496-504.
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Evaluation of corrosion behaviour of aluminum in different environment. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. 2018;11(1):88-92.
- Adejo SO, Ekwenchi MM, Momoh F, Odiniya E. Adsorption characterization of ethanol extract of leaves of Portulaca oleracea as green corrosion inhibitor for corrosion of mild steel in sulphuric acid medium. International Journal of Modern Chemistry. 2012;1(3):125-134.
- Deepa P, Rao P. Corrosion inhibition of aluminium aaloy by coriuandrum sativum L seed extract in phosphoric acid. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2013;4(5):732-743.
- Ezeokonkwo MA, Ukoha PO, Nnaji NJ. Green Inhibitor for Aluminium and Mild Steel in Acidic Media: A Case Study of Exudates of Eucalyptus Citriodora. International Journal of Chemical Science. 2012;10(3): 1365-1373.
- Olasehinde EF, Ogunjobi JK, Akinlosotu OM, Omogbehin SA. Investigation of the Inhibitive Properties of Alchornea laxiflora leaves on the Corrosion of Mild Steel in HCl: Thermodynamics and Kinetic Study. Journal of American Science. 2015;11(1):32-39.
- Udom GI, Cookey GA, Abia AA. The effect of Acanthus montanus leaves extract on corrosion of aluminium in hydrochloric acid medium. Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology. 2017:1-11.
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Study of corrosion inhibition of Aluminum in nitric acid solution using Anisaldehyde (4-methoxy benzaldehyde) as corrosion inhibitor. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2019;1(1):11-18.
- Ebenso EE, Alemu H, Umoren SA, Obot IB. Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid using alizarin yellow GG dye and synergistic iodide additive. J. Electrochem. Sci. 2008;3(12):1325-1339.