An overview on use of renewable solar energy in desiccant based thermal cooling systems
The use of thermal energy produced by renewable solar heat is an interesting option for desiccant regeneration in comfort space cooling system. Various options available for collecting the solar radiations to provide reactivation heat for desiccant regeneration in desiccant assisted dehumidification and cooling system. This means of thermal cooling is economically viable as well as environment friendly. The integration of different solar collectors with the desiccant cooling cycle is resulted to the green cooling as it eliminates the use of CFC based ozone depleting refrigerants and CO2 as green house gases which is responsible for global warming. An overview is presented to introduce different configurations of the combined system and performance evaluation of the same under different climatic situations.
Jani, D.B. (2020). An overview on use of renewable solar energy in desiccant based thermal cooling systems. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology, http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3823319
- Jurinak, J. J., Mitchell, J. W., and Beckman, W. A. Open-cycle desiccant air conditioning as an alternative to vapor compression cooling in residential applications. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1984;106:252-260.
- Jurinak, J.J. Open cycle solid desiccant cooling- components models and system simulation. PhD thesis, Wisconsin, Madison, USA.
- Stabat, P. Modelisation de components de systems de climatisation mettant en oeuvre l’adsorption et l’evaporation d’eau. PhD thesis, Ecole des Mines, Paris.
- Kang, T.S., and Maclaine-cross, I.L. High performance solid desiccant open cooling cycles. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1989;111:176-183.
- Lavan, Z., Monnier, J.B., and Worek, W.M. Second law analysis of desiccant cooling systems. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1982;104:229-236.
- Pons, M., and Kodama, A. Entropic analysis of adsorption open cycles for air conditioning. Part I: first and second law analysis. International Journal of Energy Research 2000;24:251-262.
- Maalouf, C., Wurtz, E., Mora, L., and Allard, F. Optimization and study of autonomous solar desiccant cooling system. Palenc, Santorini, Greece.
- Maalouf, C. Etude du potential de rafraichssement passif par desiccantion avec regeneration par panneaux solarires, PhD thesis, La Rochelle.
- Henning, H.M., Erpenbeck, T., Hingenburg, C., and Santamaria, I.S. The potential for solar energy use in desiccant cooling cycles. International journal of Refrigeration 2001;24:220-229.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2017). A critical review on solid desiccant based hybrid cooling systems. International Journal of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration 25, 1-10.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2018). A critical review on application of solar energy as renewable regeneration heat source in solid desiccant – vapor compression hybrid cooling system. Journal of Building Engineering 18, 107-124.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2018). Performance analysis of a solid desiccant assisted hybrid space cooling system using TRNSYS. Journal of Building Engineering 19, 26-35.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2018). Investigations on effect of operational conditions on performance of solid desiccant based hybrid cooling system in hot and humid climate. Thermal Science and Engineering Progress 7, 76-86.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2018). Applications of solar energy. Springer, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-10-7205-5.
- Dadi, M.J., Jani, D.B. (2019). Solar Energy as a Regeneration Heat Source in Hybrid Solid Desiccant – Vapor Compression Cooling System – A Review. Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research 6 (5), 421-425.
- Jani, D.B., Mishra, M., and Sahoo, P.K. (2016). Solid desiccant air conditioning – A state of the art review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 60, 1451–1469.
- Jani, D.B., Shah, N., Panchal, N. A review on application of desiccant dehumidification – vapor compression hybrid cooling system in hot-humid climates. International Journal of Innovative and Emerging Research in Engineering 2;2018:1-5.
- Jani, D.B., Bhabhor, K., Dadi, M., et al. A review on use of TRNSYS as simulation tool in performance prediction of desiccant cooling cycle. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 2019;DOI:10.1007/s10973-019-08968.
- Bhabhor, K., Jani, D.B. Progressive development in solid desiccant cooling: A review. International Journal of Ambient Energy 2019;DOI:10.1080/01430750.2019.1681293.
- Matsuki, K., Saito, Y. Desiccant cooling R and D in Japan. ASHRAE Transaction Symposia 0877;DA: 77:1:426-40.
- Hajji A, Worek WM, Levan Z. Dynamic analysis of closed-cycle solar adsorption refrigerator using two adsorbent-adsorbate pairs. ASME journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1991;113-73-9.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K.Sahoo. 2016. Performance prediction of rotary solid desiccant dehumidifier in hybrid air-conditioning system using artificial neural network. Applied Thermal Engineering 98:1091–1103.
- Biswas P, Kim S, Miller A. A compact low pressure drop desiccant bed for solar air conditioning application: analysis and design. ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1984;106:153.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K. Sahoo. 2015. Performance studies of hybrid solid desiccant - vapor compression air-conditioning system for hot and humid climates. Energy and Buildings 102:284-292.
- Duffie JA, Beckmann WA. Solar Engineering of Thermal Process. New York: Wiley, 1980.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K.Sahoo. 2016. Performance prediction of solid desiccant - vapor compression hybrid air-conditioning system using artificial neural network. Energy 103: 618-629.
- Saito Y. Regeneration characteristics of adsorbent in the integrated desiccant/collector. ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 1993;115:169-75.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K.Sahoo. 2016. Experimental investigation on solid desiccant – vapor compression hybrid air- conditioning system in hot and humid weather. Applied Thermal Engineering 104:556–564.
- Henning, H.M. (2001). The potential of solar energy use in desiccant cooling cycles. International Journal of Refrigeration 24 (3), 220–229.
- Vyas, Vedant, D.B. Jani. 2016. An overview on application of solar thermal power generation. International Journal of Engineering Research and Allied Sciences 01:1-5.
- Crofoot, L., and Harrison, S. (2012). Performance evaluation of a liquid desiccant solar air conditioning system. Energy Procedia 30, 542–550.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K.Sahoo. 2016. Exergy analysis of solid desiccant - vapor compression hybrid air conditioning system. International Journal of Exergy 20:517-535.
- Buker, M.S., and Riffat, S.B. (2015). Recent developments in solar assisted liquid desiccant evaporative cooling technology review. Energy and Buildings 96, 95–108.
- Jani, D.B., M. Mishra, and P.K.Sahoo. 2013. Simulation of solar assisted solid desiccant cooling systems using TRNSYS. Proceedings of the 22th National and 11th International ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference (ISHMT-ASME-2013), IIT, Kharagpur, Dec 28-31, pp. 1-7.
- Vyas, Vedant, D.B. Jani, P.K. Brahmbhatt. 2016. A comprehensive study on application of renewable solar energy in thermal power generation. National Conference on Emerging Research Trends in Engineering (NCERTE-2016), VGEC Chandkheda, Institute for Plasma Research (IPR) and CTE Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, Apr 4-6, pp. 620-625.
- Baniyounes, A.M., Rasul, G.L., and Khan, MMM. Analysis of solar desiccant cooling system for an institutional building in subtropical Queensland, Australia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2012;16:6423-6431.
- Li, Y., Lu, L., and Yang, H. Energy and economic performance analysis of an open cycle solar desiccant dehumidification air conditioning system for application in Hong Kong. Solar Energy 2010;84:2085-2095.
Copyright (c) 2020 Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.