Experimental study of exfoliation corrosion-induced mechanical properties degradation of Aluminum alloys: 2024-T3 and 5083-H22
The objective of the present work were to study the influence of exfoliation corrosion (EFC) of 2024 and 5083 aluminum alloys on the mechanical properties degradation. Tensile test had been carried out on pre-corroded specimens, exposed to laboratory accelerated exfoliation corrosion solution. The analysis suggests that exfoliation exposure leads to decrease the mechanical properties of all materials. The effects of the grain boundary character distribution and precipitates on corrosion are discussed on the basis of experimental observations by Scanning Electron Microscope SEM combined with Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy EDS analysis.
Cite as: Brahami, A., Fajoui, J., Bouchouicha, B. (2020). Experimental study of exfoliation corrosion-induced mechanical properties degradation of aluminum alloys: 2024-T3 and 5083-H22. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3653058
- Brahami, A., Fajoui, J., Bouchouicha, B. Exfoliation Corrosion Impact on Microstructure, Mechanical Properties, and Fatigue Crack Growth of Aeronautical Aluminum Alloy. Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, (2020). 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11668-020-00815-y
- J. Summerson and D.O. Sprowls, Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum Alloys, in International Conference in Celebration of the Centennial of the Hall-Heroult Process. 1986. University of Virginia, Charlottes ville, Virginia.
- Chen, Y., Liu, C., Zhou, J., Wang, X. (2017). Multiaxial fatigue behaviors of 2024-T4 aluminum alloy under different corrosion conditions. International Journal of Fatigue, 98, 269-278.
- Liddiard,E.A.G., Whittaker J.A., Farmery H.K. Journal of the Institute of Metals, 89, 377-384 (1960-1961).
- Zahavi, J., Yahalom, J. (1982). Closure to “Discussion of ‘Exfoliation Corrosion of AlMgSi Alloys in Water’[J. Zahavi and J. Yahalom (pp. 1181–1185, Vol. 129, No. 6)]”. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 129(12), 2878.
- Conor P.C., James A.D., Collier R.N. (2004). Evaluation of Exfoliation Corrosion Damage to 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloy Aircraft Structural Components", Materials and Structures Group, Defense Technology Agency
- Sprowls, D. O., Walsh, J. D., & Shumaker, M. B. (1972). Simplified exfoliation testing of aluminum alloys. In Localized Corrosion—Cause of Metal Failure. ASTM International.38-65
- Robinson, M. J., Jackson, N. C. (1999). Exfoliation corrosion of high strength Al-Cu-Mg alloys: effect of grain structure. Corrosion Engineering, Science, and Technology, 34(1), 45-49
- Robinson, M. J. (1982). Mathematical modelling of exfoliation corrosion in high strength aluminium alloys. Corrosion Science, 22(8), 775-790.
- Kelly, D. J., & Robinson, M. J. (1993). Influence of heat treatment and grain shape on exfoliation corrosion of Al-Li alloy 8090. Corrosion, 49(10), 787-795.
- Standard, A. (2001). G34-01: Standard Test Method for Exfoliation Corrosion Susceptibility in 2XXX and 7XXX Series Al Alloys. ASTM International: West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM Standard E8-04, Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials [Metric], Part 03.01, Metals Mechanical Testing Elevated and Low-Temperature Tests Metallographic.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (Filadelfia, Pennsylvania). (2004). ASTM G1-03: Standard Practice for Preparing, Cleaning, and Evaluating Corrosion Test Specimens. ASTM.
- Brahami, A., Bouchouicha, B., Zemri, M., Fajoui, J. (2018). Fatigue crack growth rate, microstructure and mechanical properties of diverse range of aluminum alloy: a comparison. Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, 22(1), 329-339.
- Pantelakis, S. G., Daglaras, P. G., Apostolopoulos, C. A. (2000). Tensile and energy density properties of 2024, 6013, 8090 and 2091 aircraft aluminum alloy after corrosion exposure. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 33(2), 117-134.
- Kamoutsi, H., Haidemenopoulos, G. N., Bontozoglou, V., Pantelakis, S. (2006). Corrosion-induced hydrogen embrittlement in aluminum alloy 2024. Corrosion Science, 48(5), 1209-1224.
- Andreatta, F., Terryn, H., & De Wit, J. H. W. (2003). Effect of solution heat treatment on galvanic coupling between intermetallics and matrix in AA7075-T6. Corrosion Science, 45(8), 1733-1746.