Geotechnical properties of some selected lateritic soils stabilized with cassava peel ash and lime
This study presents the influence of cassava peel ash (CPA) and lime on some geotechnical properties of three lateritic soils. This is with a view to the use of locally available agricultural waste in stabilising lateritic soils. Soil samples (termed A, B, and C) were collected from three different locations in Osun state, South West, Nigeria. Some properties such as particle size distribution, liquid limit (LL), plastic limit (PL), Compaction properties (optimum moisture content, OMC and Maximum dry density, MDD), California bearing ratio (CBR) and unconfined compressive strength (UCS) of the soil samples were determined. Cassava peel collected from a cassava processing factory was calcined at 700oC and CPA produced was sieved through sieve No. 40. Different percentages, 2, 4, 6, 8% (by weight of dry soil) of CPA and a fixed percentage (4%) of lime were mixed with the lateritic soil. Lime was added to supply calcium ion (Ca2+) needed for formation of Calcium Silicate stabilising compounds. The LL, PL, OMC, MDD, CBR and UCS of the stabilised soil samples were determined. There was a general improvement in the geotechnical properties of the soil (especially samples A and B) with about 20% reduction in LL, 38% increase in CBR, 120% increase in UCS. The study revealed that a combination of CPA and lime has the potential of improving the geotechnical properties of fine grained lateritic soil.
Ayodele AL, Mgboh CV, Fajobi AB. Geotechnical properties of some selected lateritic soils stabilised with cassava peel ash and lime. Alg. J. Eng. Tech. 2021, 4:22-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4536448
- Murthy VNS. Textbook of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering-Geotechnical Engineering Series. 1st ed. New Delhi: Pvt Ltd; 2007.
- O’Flaherty CA. Highways: The location, design and maintenance of road pavements. Butterworth Heinemenn, Jordan Hill Oxford; 2002.
- Ayodele AL. A study of Electrochemical Treatment of Typical Soft Lateritic Soil. [Ile-Ife]: Obafemi Awolowo University; 2014.
- Indiana Department of Transportation. Design Procedures for Soil Modification or Stabilisation. Office of Geotechnical Engineering 120 South Shortridge Road Indianapolis, Indiana 46219; 2008.
- Boardman D. Clay Lime Interaction. [Birmingham]: University of Birmingham; 1997.
- Osinubi KJ, Ijimdiya TS, Nmadu I. Lime stabilization of black cotton soil using bagasse ash as admixture. Adv Mater Res. 2009;62–64(February 2009):3–10.
- Ayodele AL, Adebisi AO, Kareem MA. Use of Sludge Ash in Stabilising Two Tropical Laterite. Int J Sci Eng Res. 2016;7(8):104–8.
- Ayodele AL, Agbede OA. Influence of electrochemical treatment on a typical laterite. Proc Inst Civ Eng-Ground Improv. 2018;171(2):103–11.
- Osinubi KJ. Soil stabilization using phosphatic waste.’. In: Proceedings 4th Regional Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, GEOTROPIKA. 1997. p. 225–44.
- Eko RM, Riskowski G. A procedure for processing mixtures of soil, cement, and sugar cane bagasse. J Sci Res Dev. 2004;3:1–5.
- Osinubi KJ, Eberemu AO. The use of blast furnace slag treated laterite in the attenuation of ground water contaminants. In: Proceedings of The Nigerian Material Congress 2005. 2005. p. 28–35.
- Alhassan M. Potentials of rice husk ash for soil stabilization. Assumpt Univ J Technol. 2008;11(4):246–50.
- Oriola F, Moses G. Groundnut shell ash stabilization of black cotton soil. Electron J Geotech Eng. 2010;15(1):415–28.
- Salau MA, Ikponmwosa EE, Olonode KA. Structural Strength Characteristics of Cement-Cassava Peel Ash Blended Concrete. Civ Environ Res. 2012;2(2):68–77.
- Adesanya OA, Oluyemi KA, Josiah SJ, Adesanya R, Shittu L, Ofusori D, et al. Ethanol production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae from cassava peel hydrolysate. Internet J Microbiol. 2008;5(1):25–35.
- Ojo AO. Geomagnetic and Geoelectric Investigation of Mineral Rocks at Awo, osun Stat, Southwest Nigeria. Int J Phys Res. 2013;1(2):60–74.
- Ojanuga AG. Clay Mineralogy of Soils in the Nigeria Tropical Savanna Regions. Soil Sci Soc Am J. 1979;43(6):1237–42.
- Salau MA, Olonade KA. Pozzolanic potentials of cassava peel ash. J Eng Res. 2011;16(1):10–21.
- Bell FG. Lime Stabilisation of Clay Minerals and Soils. Eng Geol. 1996;42(4):223–37.
- Ogunribido THT. Geotechnical Properties of Saw Dust Ash Stabilized Southwestern Nigeria Lateritic Soils. Environ Res Eng Manag. 2012;2(60):29–33.
- Alao DA. Geology and engineering properties of laterites from Ilorin, Nigeria. Eng Geol. 1983;19(2):111–8.
- Glendinning S, Rogers CDF. Deep stabilisation using lime. In: Lime Stabilisation: Proceedings of the seminar held at Loughborough University Civil & Building Engineering Department on 25 September 1996. Thomas Telford Publishing; 1996. p. 127–38.
- E. E. Agbenyeku, I. F. Aneke. Prolong Curing of Green Concrete from Domestically Dried Cassava Peel Ash and Laterite. Int J Sci Eng Res. 5(1):900–5.
- Gidigasu M. Laterite soil engineering: pedogenesis and engineering principles. Vol. 9. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier Scientific Publishing; 2012.
- Burmister DM. Principles and Techniques of Soil Identification. Vol. 29. Washington D.C.: National Research Council; 1950. 402–433 p.
- Cherian C, Arnepalli DN. A critical appraisal of the role of clay mineralogy in lime stabilisation. Int J Geosynth Ground Eng. 2015;1(8):1–20.
- Whitlow R. Basic Soil Mechanics. 3rd ed. Edinburgh Gate: Addison Wesley Longman Limited; 1995.
- Federal Ministry of works and Housing. Federal Republic of Nigeria Highway Manual, General Specifications Requirement for Roads and Bridges. 1997.
- Das BM. Fundamental of Geotechnical Engineering. 4th ed. USA: Thomson Learning; 2000.
- Bell F. Engineering treatment of soils. Abingdon, UK: CRC Press; 1993.
- Portelinha FHM. Modification of a Lateritic Soil with Lime and Cement: an Economic Alternative for Flexible Pavement Layers. Soils Rocks. 2012;35(1):51–63.
- Amu OO, Bamisaye OF, Komolafe IA. The Suitability and Lime Stabilization Requirement of some Lateritic Soil Samples as pavement. Int J Pure Appl Sci Technol. 2011;2(1):29–46.
- Serajuddin M, Azmal M. Fine-grained soils of Bangladesh for road construction. In: 9th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Bangkok; 1981. p. 175–8.
- Holtz RD, Kovacs WD. An Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering. New Jersey: Prentice-hall Inc.; 1981.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.