Study of corrosion inhibition of Aluminum in nitric acid solution using Anisaldehyde (4-methoxy benzaldehyde) as corrosion inhibitor
December 28, 2019
The inhibitive action of Anisaldehyde (4–methoxy benzaldehyde) on corrosion of Aluminum in nitric acid solution was studied through weight loss method. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopic Analysis (FTIR) was used to characterize the inhibitor and the corrosion product. The effect of different inhibitor concentrations was studied at 308, 313 and 318 K. The present study showed that the percentage of inhibition efficiency (% I.E.) is enhanced with increase of inhibitor concentration and decrease with rising in temperature. Maximum I.E. of Anisaldehyde was found 86.32 % at 308 K and 0.1M inhibitor concentration in 1.4M HNO3 solution. The inhibitive action of the inhibitor is discussed in view of adsorption of Anisaldehyde molecule on the metal surface. It was found that the adsorption of the inhibitor on the metal surface follows Langmuir adsorption isotherm. Activation parameters governing the adsorption process were evaluated and discussed in detail.
Cite as: Husaini, M., Usman, B., Ibrahim, M. B. (2019). Study of corrosion inhibition of Aluminum in nitric acid solution using Anisaldehyde (4 - methoxy benzaldehyde) as inhibitor. Algerian Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1(1), 011-018. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3595126
- Rabab, M. N. (2017). Novel Green Soybean Oil Derivatives as Corrosion Inhibitors for Mild Steel at 0.5 N HCl. Pelagia Research Library. 8(2):282-290.
- Bradford, S. A. (1993). Corrosion control, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, pp.1-238.
- Ashassi, H. Shabani, B. Aligholipour, B. Seifzadeh, D. (2006). The effect of some Schiff bases on the corrosion of aluminiumin hydrochloric acid solution. Surf.Sci., 252, 4039.4047.
- Abdallah, M. (2004). Antibacterial drugs as corrosion inhibitors for corrosion of aluminiumin hydrochloric solution. Corros.Sci., 46: 1981 - 1996.
- Aljourani, J., Raeissi, .K. and Golozar, M.A. (2009). Benzimidazole and its derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in 1 M HCl solution. Sci., 51: 1836 – 1843.
- Obot, I.B. Obi-Egbedi, N.O. and Umoren, S.A. (2009). The synergistic inhibitive effect and some quantum chemical parameters of 2,3-diaminonaphtalene and iodide ions on the hydrochloric acid corrosion of Aluminium, Sci., 51: 276 - 282.
- Abdel, M. S. Morad, M. S. (2001). Inhibiting effects of some quinolines and organic phosphonium compounds on corrosion of mild steel in 3 M HCl solution and their adsorption characteristics. Br Corros J. 36: 253-260.
- Mouayed, Y. K., Abdulsada, A. M. and Alshawi, J. M. S. (2014). Synthesis, identification and the study of some new azo dyes as corrosion inhibitors for copper in (1 M) HCl. Journal of Basrah Researches (Sciences). 108-127.
- Afolabi, A. S, Muhirwa AC, Abdulkareem AS, Muzenda, E. (2014). Weight loss and Microstructural Studies of Stressed Mild Steel in Apple Juice. Int J Electrochem Sci., 9: 5895-5906.
- Olasehinde, E.F., Ogunjobi, J. K., Akinlosotu, O. M. and Omogbehin, S. A. (2015). Investigation of the Inhibitive Properties of Alchornea laxiflora leaves on the Corrosion of Mild Steel in HCl: Thermodynamics and Kinetic Study. Journal of American Science. 11(1): 32-39.
- Nnanna, L. A., Anozie, I. U., Avoaja, A. G. I., Akoma, C. S. and Eti E. P. (2011). Comparative Study of Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium Alloy of Type AA3003 in Acidic and Alkaline Media by Euphorbia hirta extract. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry. 5(8): 265-271.
- Ekpe, U.J., Okafor, P.C. and Ebenso, E.E. (2004). Inhibition of the Acid Corrosion of Aluminium by some derivatives of Thiosemicarbazon. Bulletin of Chemical Society of Ethiopia. 18(2): 181-192.
- Musa, H., Bishir, U. and Muhammad. B. I. (2018). Evaluation of corrosion behaviour of aluminium in different environment. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. 11(1): 88-92.
- Fouda, A. S., Ibrahim, A. A. and El-behairy, W. T. (2014). Thiophene derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solutions. Scholars Research Library. 6(5):144-157
- Mohamed, M.I., Abdel Hameed, R.S. Abd-Alhakeem, H. A. Sawsan, E. M. (2014). Schiff.s bases and their metal complexes as corrosion inhibitors for Aluminum alloys in corrosive media. OCAIJ 10 (7): 271-281.
- Vashi, R. T. and Prajapati, N. I. (2017). Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Using Bacopa monnieri Leaves Extract as Green Inhibitor. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 10(15): 221-231.
- Udom, G. I., Cookey, G. A. and Abia, A. A. (2017). The Effect of Acanthus montanus Leaves Extract on Corrosion of Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Journal of Applied Science and Technology. (25) 1-11.
- Al-Sabagh, A. M., Kandile, N. G., Nasser, N. M., Mishrif, M. R. and El-Tabey, A. E. (2013). Novel surfactants incorporated with1,3,5-triethanolhexahydro-1,3,5-triazine moiety as corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel in hydrochloric acid: Electrochemical and quantum chemical investigations. Egypt J Pet 22: 351-365.
- Toliwal, S. D. Kalpesh, J. and Pavagahh, I. (2010). Inhibition of corrosion of mild steel INHCL solutions by Schiff base derived from nontraditional oils. Journal of Applied chemical Research. 12: 24 -36.
- Babatunde, A. I., Gundele, O. O., Oyelola, O. T. and Abiola, O. K. (2012). The inhibitive effect of Irvingia gabonensis extract on the corrosion of aluminium in 1M HCl solution. Advances in Applied Science Research. 3 (6): 3944-3949