Corrosion inhibition effect of benzaldehyde (Methoxybenzene) for Aluminium in sulphuric acid solution
Corrosion inhibitory effect of benzaldehyde (methoxybenzene) on aluminium in sulphuric acid media was studied by weight loss measurement and characterization was carried by FTIR analysis. From the results it was found that increase in inhibitor concentration lead to the increase in inhibition efficiency and decreases when the temperature increased. Plots of ln (wi - Δw) against time gave a linear graphs which confirmed a first order reaction mechanism for aluminium in inhibited and uninhibited acid solution. The activation energy value of uninhibited acid solution was found to be 36.39 kJ/mol which increased to 62.32 kJ/mol when 0.1 M concentration of the inhibitor was added. There was a decreased in the values of the rate constant from uninhibited to inhibited acid solution while those of half-life increased from uninhibited to inhibited acid. The obtained values of entropy change (ΔS), enthalpy change (ΔH) and Gibbs free energy of adsorption (ΔGads) were also evaluated and discussed. The activation energy values and that of Gibbs free energy of adsorption support the physisorption mechanism between the molecules of the inhibitor and Aluminium surface.
Husaini M. Corrosion inhibition effect of benzaldehyde (Methoxybenzene) for Aluminium in sulphuric acid solution. Alg. J. Eng. Tech. 2021, 4:74-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4636369
- Bradford SA. Corrosion control, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1993:1-238.
- Ashassi-Sorkhabi H, Shabani B, Aligholipour B, Seifzadeh D. The effect of some Schiff bases on the corrosion of aluminum in hydrochloric acid solution. Applied Surface Science. 2006;252(12):4039-4047.
- Abdallah M. Antibacterial drugs as corrosion inhibitors for corrosion of aluminium in hydrochloric solution. Corrosion Science. 2004;46(8):1981-1996.
- Aljourani J, Raeissi K, Golozar MA. Benzimidazole and its derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in 1M HCl solution. Corrosion science. 2009;51(8):1836-43.
- Asan A, Kabasakaloglu M, Işıklan M, Kılıç Z. Corrosion inhibition of brass in presence of terdentate ligands in chloride solution. Corrosion Science. 2005;47(6):1534-1544.
- Verma CB, Quraishi MA. Schiff’s bases of glutamic acid and aldehydes as green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel: weight-loss, electrochemical and surface analysis. Int J Innov Res Sci Eng Technol. 2014;3:14601-14613.
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Study of corrosion inhibition of Aluminum in nitric acid solution using Anisaldehyde (4-methoxy benzaldehyde) as corrosion inhibitor. J. Eng. Tech. 2019;1:11-18.
- Ali AI, Foaud N. Inhibition of aluminum corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution using black mulberry extract. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2012;3(5):917-924.
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Evaluation of corrosion behaviour of aluminum in different environment. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. 2018;11(1):88-92.
- Mahmmod AA, Kazarinov IA, Khadom AA, Mahood HB. Experimental and theoretical studies of mild steel corrosion inhibition in phosphoric acid using tetrazoles derivatives. Journal of Bio-and Tribo-Corrosion. 2018 Dec;4(4):155-168. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40735-018-0171-y
- Husaini M, Yunusa U, Ibrahim HA, Usman B. Corrosion inhibition of aluminium in phosphoric acid solution using glutaraldehyde as inhibitor. Algerian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2020;1(1):12-21. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3986577
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Study of corrosion inhibition performance of Glutaraldehyde on Aluminium in nitric acid solution. J. Eng. Tech. 2020;2: 3-10.
- Husaini M, Ibrahim MB. Thermodynamic and Kinetic study on the corrosion of aluminium in hydrochloric acid using benzaldehyde as corrosion inhibitor. International Journal of Engineering and Manufacturing. 2019;9(6):53-64.
- Liu Y, Guo Y, Wu W, Xiong Y, Sun C, Yuan L, Li M. A machine learning-based QSAR model for benzimidazole derivatives as corrosion inhibitors by incorporating comprehensive feature selection. Interdisciplinary Sciences: Computational Life Sciences. 2019;11(4):738-747.
- Husaini M, Bishir U, Ibrahim MA and Ibrahim MB. Effect of Aniline as Corrosion Inhibitor on the Corrosion of Aluminium in Hydrochloric Acid Solution. Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment. 2020; 24 (2): 1-8
- Husaini M, Usman B, Ibrahim MB. Inhibitive Effect of Glutaraldehyde on the Corrosion of Aluminum in Hydrochloric Acid Solution. Journal of Science and Technology. 2019;11(2):8-16.
- Husaini M, Ibrahim MB. Investigation of Inhibition Potential Effect of Organic Compound for the Corrosivity of Phosphoric Acid on Aluminium. International Journal of Engineering and Manufacturing. 2020;10(1):41.
- Raghavendra N, Bhat JI. Anti-corrosion properties of areca palm leaf extract on aluminium in 0.5 M HCl environment. Afr. J. Chem. 2018;71:30-8.
- Husaini M. Organic compound as inhibitor for corrosion of aluminum in sulphuric acid solution. J. Eng. Tech. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.5281/zenodo.4099803
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.